Robert Stewart had Culgruff House built as a wedding gift for his wife, the daughter of the third Baronet of Cardoness. Construction took six years and was completed in 1889.
In 1902, Robert Stewart died and since the couple did not have any children, the house eventually passed to the family of Mrs Stewart.
In 1947, shortly after the engagement of Her majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh, the Duchess of Grafton made a private visit to the house with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
Late in the 1940s the ownership of the house passed to a Mrs McCormick. It was then that the house first became a hotel.
During the 1970s, the house was then sold to a Mr Grayson. Cupid then worked her magic as after meeting a house guest Mr Grayson married her! Mr and Mrs Grayson then continued operating the house with some letting rooms until they sold the house in 2008.
Robert Shaw was the next owner and operated the house as a hotel as well as offering meals. We are the current guardians of the house, having bought Culgruff in June 2018.
Last year, the house celebrated its 130th birthday.